Dental implant placement is only part of the puzzle when it comes to restoring your smile. After your implants (titanium posts) have been placed by an oral surgeon, you’ll need to work with a dentist to create an implant-supported restoration, such as a dental crown, that will attach to the implant and replace your teeth.
Some patients have their implants placed by an oral surgeon, but then go to a general dentist to have a restoration built. However, at Skutak Dental, we highly recommend that you work with a qualified oral surgeon throughout the entire process. Learn more below, and see why getting implant-supported restorations from your oral surgeon is the best way to restore your smile.
What Are Implant-Supported Restorations?
An implant-supported restoration is a prosthetic designed to restore your smile, in combination with one or more dental implants. The most common types of restorations are:
- Dental crowns – Dental crowns are made of porcelain and look just like a natural tooth. One crown is used with a single implant to restore one missing tooth.
- Dental bridges – Implant bridges attach to two implants, restoring several missing teeth with a single prosthetic. They are particularly useful if you’re missing multiple adjacent teeth.
- Implant-supported dentures – These dentures can be permanent or removable. They snap onto a set of 4-6 implants in the upper or lower arch of the mouth to restore your smile as an alternative to traditional dentures.
Why Should I Choose An Oral Surgeon To Restore My Implants?
If you work with an oral surgeon to restore your implants after surgery, you’ll get a few different benefits.
- Stay under one roof – Your oral surgeon will perform the entire placement and restoration procedure, which increases your convenience, simplifies treatment, and can lead to better outcomes.
- Superior technology & tools – Oral surgeons tend to have advanced imaging equipment and technology, so they can provide a higher level of overall care for complex treatments, like dental implants.
- Enhanced fit for your restorations – Your oral surgeon will have years of experience building implants and restoring smiles, so your restorations will fit more comfortably and provide superior overall results.
- Better long-term outcomes – In a study done of implant patients, those who visited oral surgeons had better overall outcomes compared to those who saw general dentists, with a lower overall rate of complications and implant failure.
Wondering If You’re A Candidate For Implants In Rothschild? Come See Dr. Skutak!
At Skutak Dental, Dr. Lisa Skutak is here to help you get the treatment you need in Rothschild, Wausau, and Schofield. If you’re missing one or more teeth and believe that dental implants are right for you, please get in touch right away.
As an experienced dentist, Dr. Skutak can assess your oral health and help you get the assistance you need from an oral surgeon in the area. Contact us online or give us a call at (715) 355-4433 for a consultation at our office.